- square knot
- nouna double knot made of two half hitches and used to join the ends of two cords• Hypernyms: ↑knot
* * *noun: a knot made of two reverse half-knots and used to join the ends of two cords or to tie up and bind bundles and other objects
* * *a common knot in which the ends come out alongside of the standing parts. See illus. under knot.[1865-70]
* * *square knot nounA reef knot• • •Main Entry: ↑square
* * *square knot,a knot firmly joining two loose ends of rope or cord. It is tied with two overhand knots so the free ends come out alongside of the standing parts. A square knot will not slip and is easily untied.
* * *n. a type of double knot that is made symmetrically to hold securely and to be easy to untie
* * *noun, pl ⋯ knots [count]US : a strong and simple type of knot — called also (chiefly Brit) reef knot
* * *= ↑reef knot
Useful english dictionary. 2012.